What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers, alternatively termed dental veneers or dental porcelain laminates, are wafer-thin shells of porcelain that are bonded onto the front of compromised teeth. Dental veneers create cosmetic and functional improvements to teeth that are discolored, worn, chipped and or misaligned.
What are the advantages of porcelain veneers?
- Dental veneers are extremely stain resistant.
- When a veneer is bonded onto a tooth’s surface it closely mimics the light handling characteristics of dental enamel thus they look like real teeth.
- Veneers can be custom designed to compensate for missing or misaligned teeth.
What is the porcelain veneer treatment procedure?
- About half a millimeter of enamel from the tooth surface will be removed, which is an amount equal to the thickness of the veneer to be added to the tooth surface. Smile DD Studio will then make a model or impression of your tooth.
- Smile DD Studio will evaluate your existing teeth and create a design to best compliment your smile and bite. We will send this design and the impression to professional dental laboratory technicians, who will custom make your veneer. During which time Smile DD Studio will place a temporary natural-looking filling on your tooth.
- Once your custom veneer is ready, we will fit the veneer onto your tooth surface to confirm that the veneer is the perfect color and shape for your smile.
- Special cement is applied and the veneer is placed on your tooth. Once properly positioned, Smile DD Studio will apply a special light beam to the dental veneer. This activates chemicals in the cement causing it to harden and bond very quickly.
- The final steps involve removing any excess cement, evaluating your bite and making any final adjustments to the veneer as necessary. Smile DD Studio may ask you to return in a couple of weeks to follow up on your beautiful new smile.